Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Judas Iscariot: Faith Personified

If you have not read my post “Killing Jesus” please read or re-read that before this to help set the stage for this post.

Between February and March 2020 church doors (physical doors) slammed shut out of fear. I was angry, if you were within earshot of me (I am loud so let’s say 3,000 mile radius) you know my anger. Why was I so upset? For years, if not all my life, I believed and still believe the church is not a building, but people. I was angry because the church building is a “symbol” to those that need it the most, it is a haven, it is a sanctuary. I believe the show of fear (in this country where we have the right to keep the doors open) is showing the weakness that has engulfed our church. Yes weakness, the church is weaker than ever… and that is sad (good time to read my “violating children” post for context).

Now my prayer is that the physical church doors stay closed forever! Why did denominations form? I guarantee (and have both actual and experiential facts to support) it is to divide NOT to bring together the church. Why do political parties exist? Same reason (I should not have to show you proof of that …hello all they do is fight with each other not for the people they serve…). If the whole point of the Bible, Jesus’ death and resurrection, and Jesus’ time on Earth teaching is to draw people to Christ for the salvation of their soul and for life… then that is all that matters. I like hard rock and I like rap (hip/hop), artists in these categories generally share their own struggles and life experiences through their music. This morning on my wun (no that is not a misspelling that is a Walk Run), I was listening to Pyrexx …wow he has a past! And wow He Loves Christ. That got me thinking about the story he was sharing through his music (his post conversion stuff I would not recommend the pre-conversion music!). He met Christ in a Prison. Brian Welch “Brian Head” met Christ in a hotel room. Paul of the Bible on a road. The disciples all over the place… but the common theme is none of them met Christ in a Church building! Hum.

Joshua, why are you talking about the church if you title your post “Judas in Heaven”… Glad you asked. Because, I have been awaken. I am going to be the leader my wife and my mom yelled at me to be and it is time to get rid of “laypeople” and “clergy” it is time to have Christians who are answering the call of Christ. Jesus said if you are going to be My family you have to do four things: “Love me your God with all your heart and mind” “Love your Neighbor as yourself” “Accept Me as your Savior” and “GO”. In the modern church as we know it, before the doors slammed, I believe the fight was to get people to “come” and if I was going to share what I am below, I might be told to “get out” if what I say or how I say it does not align with the “denomination” at the establishment I shared it at, it might offend “historical Church beliefs” it might be accepted only because it does “fit” what that particular church does believe but not because people actually take it to heart. So I am going to lead by taking my faith and “Going” I believe we need to keep Church doors closed and start opening hearts with real conversation, with real people, where they are at (both physically at and “at” in their faith or lack of). More to come on this topic and how the Church should get back to the roots Jesus laid… now why do I believe that Judas Iscariot is in Heaven celebrating with our Savior?!

Jesus said that all things are possible, through Him. Without contradiction He also made it VERY clear one thing is impossible and in fact should never be done by a human. That thing is judging another person’s heart. Without contradiction because all things are possible THROUGH HIM, many things are impossible for humans. It is impossible for anyone to fully know another person’s heart. Yes there are glimpses we get of each other’s heart and we can “share” what is on our heart but the complexity of our heart and our faith is often difficult for us to fully articulate and for us to really share and for the hearer to fully understand. Jesus (God) is the only one who fully knows our hearts.

I believe that anything someone learns about Jesus or Christianity should be internalized, thought about, prayed about, and communicated to God to see if what is said aligns with your heart, your relationship with Christ, and might need to lead to changes in your life. It is not for others to do that for you or demand of you… not even Jesus demands us to change, He presents His Love in many ways then it our choice alone to follow Him or not. I share my beliefs, they don’t have to be yours… you share yours… and then let’s decide for ourselves where we land and what actions or inactions those beliefs lead to.

Judas Iscariot: “The Betrayer”. Betrayer can mean untrustworthy, traitor, double crosser, or false friend. But betrayer has also been simply defined as someone who gives up confidential information for money. Jesus said at the last supper that “One of you will betray me”, He told Judas “go do what you need to do”. Then in the Garden after praying Jesus said “here comes my betrayer.” The same Jesus that called Peter “Satan”, literally called him the Devil! Look at Matthew 16, Jesus questions Peter about who He thinks He is… Peter says Christ the Son of the Living God. Jesus says “awesome, I know you said that (remember Jesus knows the heart) because you believe it not because you were “convinced” or “brainwashed” by man”. Then Jesus foretells His death and at this point Peter should know that death is not the end and that Jesus has the power over death…and that Jesus has to die so we can all live. Peter “forbids” Jesus to do this, at this point Jesus says “get behind me Satan (Peter).” So why is Judas Iscariot labeled the “betrayer” and Peter not labeled the “unbeliever”…. The same Peter that denied Christ and fled. I believe it is because we as humans have a heart of judging and we pick the evidence we like and don’t like and use it in ways only God should. We judge acts as being the completeness of a person’s heart. Now there are BAD, EVIL, and HURTFUL acts and those acts do deserve punishment at times but not condemning of the heart, by us at least. I think that the church has become “soft on sin” again my post “Violating Children” addresses that concern of softness. The softness is not calling out sin as sin, not the judgement of the sin. It is the fear of human judgement that likely keeps many out of church buildings and I don’t blame them.

The Church would put Judas in Hell and Peter in Heaven in all likeliness. Even the authors of our Bible seemed to have thoughts along that line by labeling Judas. Think about the story, remember it is shared by those that felt “betrayed” and maybe even lacked faith if only for a moment like Peter. In other words the Bible and the story of Judas is written from Human Perspectives and yes sometimes human judgement.

In my post “killing Jesus” I ask, would you be willing to kill Jesus? Literally put a knife in your hand, walk Him up a hill, and drive the knife through His heart… not for His punishment, but yours! Think about that… no not “Sunday School” think about it but really think about it! I would. MURDER!! No I am not a murder I am a believer, I trust what Jesus said, WHO He is, and that He RULES… and would RAISE from the dead… as He has been saying He would. Abraham would have too, and He proved it with Isaac. Judas would too, I believe. Jesus had to die. He wanted “His chosen people” the Jews, to make the sacrifice in a show of belief in His forgiveness, power, and Love. The Jews were chosen to bring Jesus’ message of salvation to the rest of the world, the Jews of the time (those in leadership at least) seemed to think they were chosen to be superior over the Gentiles (all other people).

Judas did what no other Jew would do, he killed Jesus. That decision could have been more of an act of faith than many others in the Bible. Yes Judas took money for that act but he was the treasurer of the group, HE IS THE MONEY GUY! Judas threw the money back at those that gave it to him. I don’t think that was an act of regret for what he did as much as regret for taking money to do it. Our pastors, ministers, and others who are employed by churches take money to share faith, why is it so wrong for Judas?

Then Judas hanged himself. I cannot imagine the pain he was going through, again not for what could have been the biggest act of faith ever… but for what was going through his mind about how HUMANS, JEWS, CHRISTIANS would treat him, possibly torture him too. Jesus is quoted by Luke saying “woe to that man by whom He is betrayed” … He being Jesus. Woe means great sorrow or distress. Most Christians do not act on their faith out of fear of Human Judgement, mocking, and so on… not God’s reward for acting in faith. To this point Jesus could have known that the “act of faith” that Judas was going to act on would bring him great sorrow from HUMANS! And Judas still acted, only later to have the weight of want is to come from humans judging him be too overwhelming. It is not our place to know Judas’ heart. Murder is a sin, even your own… but ALL SIN IS FORGIVABLE and ACTS (EVEN SINS) DO NOT FULLY SHOW THE HEART. Jesus knows Judas’ heart. I see Judas as very faithful very much in love with Jesus and very much a believer in His power over and through death!

That is what saddens me about what I saw in the church for slamming doors shut. From my perspective that was an outward sign of lack in faith of Jesus’ power, like Peter’s response. The doors shut to keep people “from dying” (not possible). My point was okay but if those in the church are the “saved” then what does it matter if we die, we all will eventually. Again, just my perspective. I am not judging but I am asking for anyone who reads this to think about it, search your heart. It is time to slam the church physical doors and open the church’s heart, help others open their heart, and share the love, power, and salvation only found in Jesus. If you do that and help others do that, there IS NOTHING TO FEAR… NOT EVEN DEATH!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment